So not only have my children and I walked through Holy Week, but also through our Wed evening Bible Study.
I help teach the 5-7 yr old class at our Fellowship and we have journeyed together through Jesus' final days here on earth over the past two Wednesday's.
I love to use a "Taste and see that the Lord is good" (psalm 34:8) approach to teaching, meaning the more senses + hands on the better!!
So we traveled a bit as disciples with Jesus around the church. We washed feet, walked into Jerusalem on a stuffed donkey + waved palms, celebrated the last supper together, prayed in the garden of Gethsemane + fell asleep. Through His word witnessed the arrest of Jesus, how they mocked him with a crown of thorns + drove nails into His hands. How He took the full punishment of our sin + died in our place on the cross
...and how that wasn't the end of the story. xoxo
One of the activities we did to help show the burial and resurrection of Christ was to make Resurrection Rolls.
• 2 cans refrigerated crescent roll dough
• 8 large marshmallows
• Melted butter
1. Give each child two triangle shaped section of crescent roll. Press one seam together to make a rectangle. This represents the tomb.
2. Each child take a fork and pierce one marshmallow which represents the body of Christ. His body was pierced for our transgressions.
"But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed." Isaiah 53:53. Dip the marshmallow in the butter and roll in cinnamon and sugar mixture. This represents the oils and spices the body was anointed with upon burial.
4. Lay the marshmallow on the dough and carefully wrap it around the marshmallow. Placing the body of Jesus in the tomb.
5. Make sure all seams are pinched together well. Seal the tomb
6. Place in a sprayed muffin tins and bake according to package directions. Place a piece of tin foil or cookie sheet under your muffin tin. --The marshmallow get's crazy and bubble over!
7. Wait "three days" and remove from oven. We jumped and shook around from the earthquake and pretended we saw the Angel of the Lord!
8. Make sure they cool and break open the tomb and the body of Christ is no longer there!!
9. Celebrate God's love!
"He is not here; He has risen!" --Happy Easter!!