Thursday, August 13, 2009

Living Proverbs 22:6

"Train up a child in the way he should go,
Even when he is old he will not depart from it"
Proverbs 22:6

train
vb \'tran\
1a: to form by instruction, discipline, or drill
b: to teach so as to make fit, qualified, or proficient
2: to make prepared (as by exercise) for a test of skill


train-er n \'tra-ner\
1: one that trains
2: one used in training

train-ing n \'trai-nin\
1a: the act, process, or method of one that trains
b: the skill, knowledge, or experience acquired by the one that trains
2: the state of being trained

As I was sitting down to start this post, the word train stuck out at me. I read the New American Standard translation of the Bible and it reads (obviously), to TRAIN UP A CHILD...so I looked up the definition of train in the dictionary. In my Bible concordance the word train is defined to guide, instruct.

I know that it takes a lot of time and discipline to train for a worldly event. The same is true to get to our eternal event. It takes a lot of time and discipline both mentally and physically to be trained and conformed into who and what the Lord wants us to be. He wants to use us to the fullest...and He can only do that when we are training in Him everyday...taking the time and being disciplined enough to make the choice to continue our training.

We should feel very blessed to have the opportunity to train up our children. I have thought several times that my children are further ahead than I was at their age not being raised in a Christian home. Yes we went to Sunday school every week...but that was the extent of any training or seeds being planted. I struggled...trying to find my way and purpose in the world. I had that void which I filled with everything but Christ. A lot of mistakes and poor choices were made that I pray we can teach our children to avoid because we now know truth when then, we didn't. Does this mean that our children won't stray into the world?? No, but God's word says that even when he is old he won't depart from it...and I trust in that. God always holds up to what He says and I'm going to do my very best (in and through Him) holding up my end. I always think about that time of standing before Him and giving an account of my life which includes training our children....I pray and desire to hear those words "Well done, good and faithful servant" Wow..I've got a lot of hard work ahead of me, but bring it on!! =) It will be sooo worth it!

Ponder and seek with me this week. Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal himself and meet you. Ponder what it means to train, to be the trainer and what you are using for your training. God is so good and so faithful to answer...we just need to be still and open enough to hear Him!

*******************************************

If you want to share your journey of Living Proverbs 22:6 on your blog, please link to the McLinky below.
Share your thoughts!! Comment under this post!

No comments: