Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Guilty.

A photo from July 2011.  Popsicle CHEERS!

I am so guilty.  

I coddle, overprotect and try to control circumstances.

I can't stand to see my children hurt.

I've buckled, given in to tears, swayed from what was right and given into emotion.

Since the day that they were born, I've done this.  Guilty!

Lately the Lord has shown me more and more how I do this without even realizing.
I THINK I am protecting.  But in reality...I'm preventing.

Preventing growth and preventing trust in the Lord.

When we pray for our children, we ask that the Lord would draw them close.  That they would abide in Him and surrender their lives to His will.  But it seems that I can take those opportunities for growth and turn them around into opportunities to baby their (and my) emotions instead.

It is through the hurt, pain, and discomfort that we grow in faith.

Not too long ago (after I buckled under a situation) the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart.
This is what I wrote in my journal that day:

--Tina.  It's okay (and good) to push your children out of their comfort zone.  If not, they will stand still and not grow.  You are pushing them within safe boundaries. --

Since that moment I catch myself when I start to coddle.  Instead I am trying to change my perspective and observe how God will use that situation in their lives.  I'm trying to point them to God instead of defending and protecting their emotions.  We are choosing to trust.   We are excited to see how He will work!

After all.. "we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them."  Romans 8:28, NIV.   Right???

I heard a reminder on the radio last week.  "Either God IS or He isn't".  

I believe that He is.  xo 
post signature

No comments: