Thursday, August 5, 2010

Living Proverbs 22:6

The Power of a Name~
I finished the Ruth study at the beginning of this week...let me tell you, it was wonderful! From the study (Session 5 Day 3) Kelly Minter speaks of Redemption -A Name. She speaks of Boaz and his willingness to be Ruth's kinsman-redeemer and how he announces at the city gate that he has acquired Ruth, the Moabitess, the widow of Mahlon, to be his wife! (Ruth 4:10) Now this may not mean much if you don't know her past heritage...but long story short, she was a foreigner who's heritage leaves a long mark of being an enemy to God's chosen people, Israel.

When Boaz called her by name he was not ashamed of where she came from or who she used to be, but who she was!

This name thing really has been stuck on my heart. It actually has been for a while now as God allowed me to take a really good look at my own name a few months back.

Tina Rachel Scheer Kittel Thompson

Pretty loaded huh! =) Being adopted makes my name longer than most and my life journey a little different than most, but in each part of my name is a season. Some are good and some are bad...but none the less are a part of my heritage that God has put together to make me who he wants me to be.

Kelly brought us to Isaiah 43:1

But now, thus says the LORD, who created you, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine. "

and John 10:1-3

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out."

She also brought us to John 20:10-18 when Mary finally recognized Jesus after His resurrection...it was when He called her by name.

There is much power and meaning in a name. Much mystery in a name. God calls us by name if we are one of his children. When someone prays over you by name...wow! When someone blesses you by name...wow. What does your name represent?

It doesn't matter what our heritage is...it doesn't matter what hurts we have had or what we've been through. God takes all of us. Our mighty redeemer proudly proclaims you!

Again, Kelly asks:

We all have a name, history, and a wake of good and bad. How does Boaz's proclamation of Ruth's name and history as he vowed to redeem her bless you in your understanding of what Christ has done for you? (And do you really believe He takes all of you?)

A very powerful question and I think sums up why I have been pondering this over the past week. So as my mind is trying to absorb and understand what the Lord might be trying to teach or heal in me personally...I think about Baby be Blessed and this ministry He has given.

I think about the power of a name and the personalized dolls that carry your child's name.

How mighty that is, standing along side God's word.

I feel one of the reason's God has allowed them to be so special and such a keepsake to children is because it bears their name. It's marked, it's theirs...just as we are marked and belong.

So please always remember to take special time with them.

Read their name out loud to them!

Place their name in scripture!

Pray over them by name!

Praise them by name!

Bless them by name!

post signature

2 comments:

Daughter of the King said...

Thank you, Tina, for sharing this with us. A profound message for us through the purpose of your ministry. It is quite evident how God blessed you with this study.

Carrie said...

yes! and amen!!!